Monday, May 8, 2017

Starter drones for those without joystick thumbs

When I first flew the the Ares Spidex the first flick of the throttle took it right to the ceiling, the second flick slammed it down directly to the (fortunately) carpetted flow. Thus I realised to my dismay that both of my thumbs lacked the finesse to fine control the joystick. The training began ...


The Raider micro drone, looks like a craft Flash Gordon would use.


The Ares Spidex and Raider drone are definite the best starter drones to start for those in the same condition as me. Growing up never interested in computer games, pinball machines and the like I must admit that a lot of training and familiarisation is needed to fly drones manually.

Once I had some inkling of how much of a twitch is needed to pull up or pull down the craft, exact left and right movements I steped up to to a slightly bigger done the Ares Shadow (250 size). It's very light, rather powerful and very agile. It's light construction enabled it to fly fast and fall gently without inflicting much damage to the craft.

By this time, I have also acquired the Hubsan's micro drone. I had the X4, X4 Plus with 480 camera and the X4 Plus H107c with 1080p camera with altitude hold. The Hubsan micros are very agile, fast and capable drone even at the beginner's level. Swap to to "expert" and get ready to fumble if you are not yet quite up to speed with the response rate the micro drone are capable of unleashing.



Hubsan X4 Plus micro drone with 480p camera in black and green.


Hubsan X4 Plus micro drone with 480p camera in red and white.

 Hubsan X4 Plus


Hubsan X4 Plus H107c with 1080p camera and altitude hold


Both the Raider and Ares Spidex are very easy going micro drones and very tolerant of pilot errors. They are light and durable, so many knocks indoors would not do too much damage. The propellers of these crafts are also light and made of plastic. The worst you could do is break or damage the propellers, which can be replaced rather easily ... so long as you adhere to the A and B prop placement convention.

I quickly moved to the Hubsans once I approximately was able to discern fine movements on the transmitters. All the time only working in beginner's mode.

The Hubsan micro quads are definitely a joy to fly ... they are responsive and quick to the flick. The model with altitude holdis slightly more sluggish but not by very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's 2019 drone days

I collected tonnes of video footages from my builds however most of them were just from around the front yard.  I now have close to 40 quadc...