Thursday, May 4, 2017

Discovering RC flights via micro drones.

I'm not quite sure what triggered this drone fever finally, I think it must've been the many bird's eye view from drone pictures I've been seeing on FB and the internet in general. So with zero joystick and RC experience I jumped straight into the  proverbial drone pool ... what better way to learn than starting from the bottom.

I started sniffing around the online RC shops locally and settled for a small toy grade starter drone from Elkjop and quickly ordered a couple more micro size drones online.

My start date to be precise : 08th Mar 2017 , within the week I lost one drone ... a Hubsan Micro X4 Plus that flew away with the wind to god knows where. Attempt to locate it was futile. However that was quickly replaced the very same with the same exact model. By  the 15th of Mar, I've added a few more of these little drones to my collection.

Watching posts by Quadcopter 101, Dustin, Alishanmao, Tigger and numerous other drone video bloggers made it obvious that I needed to start with the most basic drone to get familiar with the sticks and myself more entrenched in this fascinating seemingly simple but fascinating hobby.

It's safe to say that my starting crafts were:
Hubsan X4 Plus (Elkjop)
Ares Spidex 3d (Saeland)
Ares Shadow 250 (RC-Deler)
Raider (Hobbex)
Ares Spidex Micro (RC-Deler)
Hubsan X4 Micro with Camera (Amazon)

These were all the small quads that properly taught me about joystick control : yaws, pitch, spins, flips and the rest of it. It took many crashes and many days of practice before I finally found sufficient finesse in my opposing thumbs and fingers to finally take these drones outdoors. The good thing about these little craft is that they are practically indestructible, perfect for indoor practice, however suitable outdoors in calm windless situations.

In these here blog pages I hope to record and hopefully share the delight and misfortune (of flyaway drones) I encounter in this new hobby. I hope there will be more stories on the delight of flying and not too many of rogue, flyaway drones and hopefully no misfortunes.

Welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's 2019 drone days

I collected tonnes of video footages from my builds however most of them were just from around the front yard.  I now have close to 40 quadc...